June 12, 2019 in News
Having a regular dental cleaning is one of the best medical practices to keep your teeth strong and healthy. According to the American Dental Association, you should have a dental examination every six months. For the most part, you should avoid food and activities that compromise your dental health, but regular dental cleanings will ensure your teeth are healthy and thoroughly clean.
Frequenting your dentist is a significant health practice if you want to keep your teeth healthy and your gums from bleeding. There is a lot that goes on when you go for a dental cleaning, and this article will explain everything that happens during the appointment. Let’s get started.
At the Dental Clinic
There are several reasons people visit a dentist. Apart from the regular checkup that involves dental cleaning, dentists will check for many other possible infections that would be a risk to your health.
During routine checkups, dentists will look for cavities, plaque, and tartar on the teeth. For cavities, X-rays will be performed. Plaque is the sticky and scummy film that forms on your teeth which, if unremoved, hardens and leads to the formation of tartar. Dentists will use specialized tools to remove plaque and tartar, in what is called scaling. Tartar buildup can happen quickly, especially if oral hygiene is neglected between checkups.
Another part of oral examination is the head and neck examination to check for any signs of mouth cancer, diabetes, or deficiencies in vitamins. After the examination, the hygienist will perform the dental cleaning.
Oral practices before and after dental checkups
During every dental visit, your oral hygienist will remind you that you play the most significant part in keeping your teeth healthy. Flossing and brushing your teeth is just part of what should be your daily practice. Here are some tips to help you keep your teeth in good health:
•It is recommended that you brush your teeth twice a day, when you wake up and before you go to bed. It will slow down tartar buildup.
•The kind of toothpaste you use is of utmost importance. Dentists recommend using toothpaste with a fluoride ingredient.
•Floss every day.
•Control the buildup of plaque by regularly using mouthwash. Besides plaque control, it also helps in keeping your breath fresh.
Why dental visits are important
There are several factors regarding why you should never miss or postpone a scheduled appointment to your dentist. Below are some of the important points about regular dental checkups:
- Consistent oral checkups are the surest way of ensuring you have healthy teeth and non-bleeding gums. This will help you avoid gum diseases like gingivitis.
- Scaling and tartar removal will keep you from having discolored teeth. When you have clean white teeth, you can smile freely and have self-esteem and confidence.
- Gum diseases are often associated with cardiovascular diseases. When you visit your dentist twice a year for checkups, you reduce the chance of heart disease.
- It is estimated that oral cancer claims a life each hour that passes in the US. Dentists have explained these deaths can be curbed if cancer cells are detected early enough during routine dental checkups.
- In the case of a tooth fracture or an open cavity, a dentist would quickly fill them during your dental cleaning. It is also easier to treat an early sign of a tooth problem than waiting for it to worsen.
- Sometimes you could have a hidden problem under your gum surface. Of course, it is impossible to discover this at home, which is why visiting a dentist is important. An X-Ray can detect hidden issues.
With all the benefits and cautionary advice within this article, the importance of regular dental cleanings cannot be overemphasized. The benefits that come along with a dental cleaning and checkup should spring you into action to make an appointment with a dentist. Prevention is always better than cure.
Dr. Mott proudly serves the greater Shreveport area. His dental practice has the best in modern dental technology, and his highly trained staff is ready to assist you. Dr. Mott is one of the best, most highly rated Shreveport dentists. Dr Mott accepts most insurances and offers alternative payment options like CareCredit and Lending Club. Stop in and see what everyone is talking about. Make your appointment with Dr. Mott today.